Veni Vidi Vici Mamabear late night loft jam. Close your eyes, and tighten your laces, taste the honeypot – try to resist the sweet soulful FUNKY all wax recording. Who LUH’s ya baby?
What’s funkier than roasted pig feet? Jason Ulrich and Big Jacks rock a Jay2Jay set to help you figure it out. Part two is the second half of Big Jack’s set coupled with a (mini) Cratery edition with Arcee and Dj Serious Jammin on the one. Enjoy with plenty o’ hot sauce.
For many years Curtis Smith has been one of Toronto’s most treasured DJs. Through rhythm, words and sounds he has been responsible for breaking records, genres, and social boundaries. As a DJ, he began in the 1980’s playing at various after hour venues throughout city. His passion for music led him to the format of radio, and in 1994 Smith landed at CKLN. For the next 16 years Curtis Smith created, programmed and hosted “Out of D’Ordinary”. The show soon became an overnight sensation and eventually its own musical institution, which kept listeners clinging to every rhythm, melody and hook. Each week Curtis seamlessly blended Rare Jazz, Funk, Soul, Latin, Disco, UK Soul, Acid Jazz, Deep House and other left field goodies both new and old from around the globe. Through the art of spoken word, he infused historical context and social relevance into the program so his listeners stayed both locked and clocked, The spirit of Out of D’Ordinary now lives in his monthly “Groove on Down” sessions, and releases on Dibgate Records.
Canada’s #1 DJ/ Entertainer Skratch Bastid will unite people over great music provided by a cast of world-class DJs; live performances from special guests; and prime barbeque cooking provided by Canada’s premier food purveyors!
Featuring Skratch Bastid, Tony Touch (NYC), Starting From Scratch, Rich Kidd (Live), Wristpect, DeMiggs & Tom Wrecks (Itzsoweezee), Jesse Futerman (Live), Jim Sharp (UK), The Gaff, Big Jacks, Love Handle (Catalist & Famous Lee), Big Toe’s Hifi, Your Boy Brian, Mark Brand
Location: Queen St & Peter St Parking Lot (306 Queen West)
Tickets: Advance: $15 + tx + $1 donation to Manifesto Community Projects
Visit skratchbastid.com for more info and prizes
Brought to you By Red Bull and Roundtable Entertainment
01. Kashif – I Just Gotta Have You (Lover Turn Me On) (inst) – Arista – 1983
02. Finis Henderson – Skip To My Lou – Motown – 1983
03. Firefly – My Desire – Mr. Disc – 1981
04. Serious Intention – Serious (Dub) – WOW – 1986
05. Common Sense – Voices Inside My Head – BC Records – 1980
06. Big Foot – Watch Your Step – Sue International Inc
07. Fantasy – Read Between The Lines – Pavillion – 1980
08. Plush – Free And Easy – RCA – 1980
09. B-Magic ft. Micheal Thomas – Summertime Girl – 1985
10. One On One – Gotta Thang – Kee Wee – 1984
11. Paradise – Back Together – Priority – 1983
12. Loose End – We’ve Arrived (Dangerous Dub version) – Virgin – 1982
13. Leprechaun – Loc-It-Up – Citation
14. Are & Be – If There Is No Struggle – Are & Be Records – 1982
15. Glenn Jones – Keep On Doin’ – RCA – 1983
16. Kashif – Stone Love (instr) – Arista – 1983
17. Le Johnn – So Good – LJC Records – 1989
18. William Bell – Headline News – Wilbe Recording Corp – 1985
Toronto legend Jason Palma comes through Love Handle.
You know it’s gonna get funky in here.
If you don’t know, you should know.
Sporting a fresh ‘spring plaid’ look, our very first official Love Handle Podcast guest, Jason Ulrich drops into LH HQ with a crateful of wax heaters to melt your mind-grapes. Jay has been super busy with the launch of Lab.our Music a Toronto based techno label that he co-operates with Stuart Li aka Basic Soul Unit. So buckle up true believers as Dj’s Famous Lee and Catalist welcome the big homey Jason Ulrich into the LoveHandle Podcast fold.
01. Sinnamon – I Need You Now – Jive
02. Kapp Ivory Project – Shock The World – DetMi
03. Carol Williams – Have You For My Love – New Image
04. Chemise – She Can’t Love You – Lotus
—— Jason Ulrich Set ——
05. Tony Adderly – I Ain’t Mad At You – Clockwork
06. Joy – I Need Your Love – Eastern
07. B. B. & Q. Band – On The Shelf – In Your Face
08. May Ervin – What Is It – Music International
09. Psychic Mirrors – Charlene – PPU
10. Vince And Lou – In Her Arms (Instrumental) – Moon Man Records
11. Epicenter ft. Sandra Feva – You Can’t Come Up In Here No More – Krisma
12. Unknown – Why Can’t I Be With You – Unknown
13. Moon Boots – Untitled – PPU
—— End ——
14. Chemise – She Can’t Love You (Instrumental) – Lotus
15. Steve Shelto – Don’t Give Your Love Away – SAM Records
16. American Chocolate – Don’t Bug Me – D.T.R. Records
17. Womack & Womack – MPB (Missin’ Person Bureau) (Folk Version) – Island Records
18. Walter Jackson – It’s Cool – Bluebird
19. Janette Renee – What’s On Your Mind – Sheridan House
The inimitable Aki Abe in the place, we’re so glad we captured his set when he joined us in April. Take it in, do your homework.
01. Armed Gang – All I Want (ChazRo)
02. Jeanie Tracy – Can I Come Over And Play (Honey Records)
03. Distinction – That’s The Way I Like It (Hansa Records)
04. Mavis John – Use My Body (Kalinda Records)
05. Ray Barretto – Pastime Paradise (45 mix) (CTI Records)
06. Johnnie Walker – Farewell To Welfare (Earwax Records Detroit)
07. Cloud One – Don’t Let The Rainbow Pass Me By (Golden Flamingo Records)
08. Arnie Love & The Lovettes – We Had Enough (TAP Records)
09. Rideout – Someone Special (ROTA Records)
10. Crashers – Skank (CAPO Disco Records)
11. Lady D – You Got Me Runnin (Fleetwood Records)
12. Barbara Jayne – I Like The Way You Move (Blue Parrot Records)
13. Carol Williams – Have You For My Love (New Image Records)
14. Mobley Gang – Groove For You (Chancy Records)
15. Dunn Pearson Jr. – Groove On Down (Shyrlden Records)
16. Solid Gold Revue – Love’s Traffic (Castanet Records)
17. Best Friend Around (P&P Brown) – It’s Good To Know (Lonnie Records)
18. Tru Tones – Dancing (Trudisc Records)
Last month was off the chain!
Big up to all those who came through the spot… the boogie funk is where it’s at and we keep it moving this month.
This month’s special guest is EFSHARP , we’re excited to hear what he’s gonna bring!
Lovely Cynthia will be at the door to make sure you get a smile on your way in. Arrive Early! We play a lot of records and you wouldn’t want to miss out.