All aboard the Boogie Bus! My man my Mellow, Orlando “Buscrates” Marshall lights it up during a Love Handle session. The Pittsburgh via Atlanta native had a busy 2015, releasing his EP on Omega Supreme Records and slaying crowds on a Canadian tour. Catch the tail end of his live set and buckle up as he turns it loose on the one’s and two’s.
Like the animals queueing up for the Ark two by two, Famous Lee & Catalist dig deep into their crates and run a two for two session for your own personal extinction level event. Love Handle is coming back atcha like returning peace doves in the sea of life.
01. Psychic Mirrors – Midnight Special – PPU
02. Christine Lewin – Juicy Fruit – Kufe
03. Pink Fink – Fear the Night – Disko Obscura
04. Thundder – Move Everything You Got – PPL
05. Gwen McRae – Funky Sensation – Atlantic
06. Cameo – Use it or Lose It – Chocolate City
07. East Liberty Quarters – The Wave
08. Caprice – 100% – NIA
09. Betty Wright – Body Slang – Epic
10. Richard Jon Smith – Baby’s Got Another – Jive
11. Tyrone Mac – Don’t Cut Back (On Your Love) – Express
12. Rick James – You & I – Gordy
13. Mary Love-Comer – Caught Up – CoLove Records
14. Alexander Robotnick – C’est la Vie – Fuzz Dance
Ray has been a mainstay in the Toronto dance community for over 20 years. Alongside Gene King, she helmed Vibes N’ Vinyl a Toronto radio show featuring classic and modern dance music on the now defunct CKLN. Her experience as a music programmer as well as her superlative dj skills has led her to dj events around the continent including the Detroit Electronic Music Festival, the Winter Music Conference in Miami & the Sexy Bitch tour. Love Handle is so excited to present a true Toronto O.G. as well as one of the tireless promoters of dance music culture in Toronto, Ray Prasad. Alongside residents Famous Lee and Jason Ulrich, this one promises to set the night on fire!
Additionally, this will be the final Love Handle at the Piston Bar. We have enjoyed nearly 3 years at the space, but are really looking forward to growing into bigger and better parties that keep the focus squarely on the FUNK! Thanks to all youse beautiful people for your support and we’re excited to see all of your shining faces in the place as we tear it down one last time!
Let’s get knee deep in this shit.
Hotthobo’s all vinyl live Love Handle Set on April 18th is long overdue mainly because we wanted to keep it to ourselves for a bit. The Voltaire Records chieftain drops bomb after bomb in his first (of many, we hope) Toronto appearance. The crowd was hype and feeling the funk vibe as Son of S.O.U.L., Walla P and the rest of the Love Handle massive was jamming on the one. This is was one that even Gordon Gartrelle would be proud of. Share and Download and make sure you check the Voltaire Records store at big cartel (voltairerecords.bigcartel.com) for pure funk pleasure in a handy wax format!
There aren’t too many people who work a Tdot dance floor like Paul E. Lopes. This legend of the Toronto underground music scene has carved a name for himself in the city’s music history. Whether through his influential radio show Vibes N Stuff on CIUT in the early 90’s, or his long running residency at the Bump N’ Hustle events, Lopes has held it down like gravity. Love Handle is extra hyped to play host for Paul’s second tour of duty as part of our Foundation Series and we really hope that y’all can come out and Handle some Love on a Summer Night.
A friendly FUNK reminder: Love Handle has always got chu covered, and this month we 2 step back to the basics with the original residents Famous Lee and Catalist. Fasten your seat belts ladies and gents, we are gonna trip the light fantastic with this one!!!
Love Handle podcast numero 9 takes us into the Funk’d up mindstate of Sonny Dunn. The homey is nice with the cuts and joins Catalist and Famous Lee to put the FUNK in funktion.
01. I Level – 3 A.M.
02. Sandy Kerr – Thug rock
03. Connie Case – Get down
04. Frank Graham – I like it
05. Junior – Too late
06. Switch – Keeping secrets
07. S.O.S. Band – Borrowed love
08. Stephanie Mills – Whatcha gonna do with my lovin’
09. Howard Johnson – Keepin love new
10. Atkins – We gon’ make u feel good
11. One Way – Get up
12. Tavares – Got to find my way back to you
13. Alexander O’neal – Innocent
14. Slave – Steppin out
15. Evelyn King – Do you want my lovin
16. Val Young – Seduction
17. Fatback – Rockin to the beat
18. Rick James – Come into my life
19. Changing Faces – I’m gonna make you love me
20. The woods empire – Universal Love
Orlando ‘Buscrates’ Marshall is a true Funk-a-teer. The Hotlanta by way of Pittsburgh homey has been on the product from day one! One third of East Liberty Quarters and having just released his debut EP (16 bit Ensemble) on Omega Supreme Records , Love Handle is super hyped to feature his Tdot debut. Accompanied by Son of S.O.U.L. and resident Famous Lee, expect a dancer’s mix of Modern and Classic FUNK slappers as well as a healthy dose of Modern Soul and Two Step. Who Love Ya BABY??
Love Handle live mix takes us on an award tour and who better to guide us than a man bumping the Funk for nearly 30 years!
A crucial part of Toronto Funk Foundation, Mr. “12 inches of Pleasure” makes sure to put some cheese in yo macaroni and butter yo bread, FUNK side up!
Buckle up Toronto, we are in for a very special treat! Love Handle proudly presents the Toronto debut of Randy Hotthobo Ellis! Straight outta L.A. by way of the Bay area, Randy “Hotthobo” Ellis is a co-owner and label manager of Voltaire Records in California, and a frequent contributor/collaborator to Loose Shus, Elegant Borzoi, and Chautauqua. His 100% vinyl sets journey deep into an abyss of new, classic, and obscure 12″ and 7″ records, with a focus toward high-end boogie, disco, two step, sweet soul, italo, house and modern funk.
Combined with the return of our resident globe trotting Dj Catalist, this is gonna be a massive jam! Show up early and get ready to sweat!
$10 b4 midnight
What’s funkier than roasted pig feet? Jason Ulrich and Big Jacks rock a Jay2Jay set to help you figure it out. Part two is the second half of Big Jack’s set coupled with a (mini) Cratery edition with Arcee and Dj Serious Jammin on the one. Enjoy with plenty o’ hot sauce.
For many years Curtis Smith has been one of Toronto’s most treasured DJs. Through rhythm, words and sounds he has been responsible for breaking records, genres, and social boundaries. As a DJ, he began in the 1980’s playing at various after hour venues throughout city. His passion for music led him to the format of radio, and in 1994 Smith landed at CKLN. For the next 16 years Curtis Smith created, programmed and hosted “Out of D’Ordinary”. The show soon became an overnight sensation and eventually its own musical institution, which kept listeners clinging to every rhythm, melody and hook. Each week Curtis seamlessly blended Rare Jazz, Funk, Soul, Latin, Disco, UK Soul, Acid Jazz, Deep House and other left field goodies both new and old from around the globe. Through the art of spoken word, he infused historical context and social relevance into the program so his listeners stayed both locked and clocked, The spirit of Out of D’Ordinary now lives in his monthly “Groove on Down” sessions, and releases on Dibgate Records.
What a better way to celebrate the ‘Love’ month than to join us on the dance floor as we welcome Dj Victor Undergroundvibe aka 12 inches of Pleasure. Possessing one of the deeper selections of pure FUNK, Dj Undergroundvibe is sure to make you SWEAT!! Accompanied by the usual funky suspects Famou SLee, and Dj Serious, this jam is going out to all of you heart breakers and love makers out there.
$5 before midnight.
In digging deeper and deeper into our respective crates to bring you the goodness we’ve realized that in todays world of increasingly rare and unknown releases sometimes it’s important to recognize the comfort of familiarity. This isn’t to say that we’ll stop hunting for the obscure/unknown gold, but it’s important to stop and enjoy the deep vein of major label releases and radio play hits that were pressed throughout the 80’s. To take a page out of the hommie Arcee’s book, we on that Woogie tip (major label funk!) and it ain’t going nowhere! Dip Drop into Toronto’s best FUNK podcast!!!
01. Sass – Much too much – 75 West Records
02. Starshine – All I need is you – Prelude
03. Taste – Got to get better – Taste
04. Fresh Band – Come back lover – are n’ be
05. Afterbach – It’s You – ARC
06. Randy Hall – I’ve Been Watching You (Jamie’s Girl) – MCA
07. B magic & micheal tomas – summertime girl – b magic
08. Contessa – Femme fatale – 6 am records
09. Liberty Silver – I’m High On Your Love – EAD
10. Loose Ends – Tell Me What You Want – Virgin
11. Lee Moore – Do You Feel Like A Party – LM records
12. Loni Gamble – Dance to it – Tracy Records
13. Merge – Take It To The Top – RCA
14. War – Still In Love – Coco Plum
15. Green & Waters – Right Away Dance
16. Vaughn Mason – Move your electric body – Funky Feet Recs
17. Byrd Pressley – Something To Remember You By – Heat
18. Kevin Moore – Speak Your Mind – Chocolate City
It’s a new year and we’re starting off with a BANG! Famous Lee and Jason Ulrich are joined by Gene King. If you have been living in a deep hole and haven’t heard of Gene, then you have some catching up to do.. One of the premiere champions of underground music in Toronto/Montreal for close to 3 decades, Gene is a record collector, label owner, producer, radio show host and general all around amazing talent. Come out & show some proper LOVE as we hott up the dancefloor LOVE HANDLE style!
$5 til Midnight $10 after
Arriving on the scene, cripsy and clean, Cam Hildebrandt is a man with a plan. Dropping OG Modern Soul masterpieces is a specialty that not all can master. One needs to possess an innate sense of direction when it comes to yachting; the fashion sense of a retired European tennis player and the je ne sais quoi of a junior cabin porter on the Love Boat. Regardless kick back and enjoy the master stylings of Cam, along with a healthy dose of Famous Lee & Catalist. Love Handle, holding it down like gravity!
01. Three Flights Up – I’m only half
02. Curtis Mayfield – Tripping Out
03. Frankie Lee – I am Love
04. Rick A. Webb & RAW Band – Don’t Keep me Waiting
05. Lew Kirton – Something Special
—— Cam Hildebrandt Set ——
06. Ronnie McNeir – My Baby
07. Tony Love – We’re doing it together
08. Special Delivery – Got to be number 1
09. Enlightenment – Burning Flame
10. Original Just Us – You’re My Inspiration
11. Kiki Gyan – Feelin Alright
12. Mad Lads – You Blew It
13. Klas – Let’s Make Love Tonight
14. Popcorn – Song for you
15. First Horizon – I need to know
—— End ——
16. Donald Albert – The Hardest Thing
17. Big Jacks/Kutcorners – Lovespeak Instrumental
18. Rocket – Love Chain
19. Lesette Wilson – Caveman Boogie
20. Cojo – Play it by ear